"The poorest, the weakest, the simplest child, is born for immortality. This value outweighs the entire material universe, no matter how small a mark this child makes on it. The tiniest infant owns a deathless intellect, and is as immortal as the Father of spirits. No one can tell what this child will become."

~ A Prebyterian Pastor who died in 1873


"And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."

~ (Deuteronomy 6:6-7)

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Why I Love the Women Of Our Family


Originally this was going to be a mother's day post but I'd rather post it for Valentine's Day.
Mom- Beautiful, Creative, Passionate, An open book with no words.
Best Memory: Lying on the couch together before I was in school, watching old black and white movies. She always would move her toes back and forth and I would try to keep my toes moving with hers and now I do the same thing when I am laying down watching movies.

Andrea- Has so much talent for so many things; passionate about so much from art and music to her studies and profession. I love how she loves my son.
Best Memory: Jumping on the bed and we fell off and she fell on top and broke my arm. When we were at the hospital and she was going to go home with grandmother and granddaddy and I told her I would rather her stay to see what pain I was in. (I really wasn’t in pain at the time I said that.)

Sophie- Her heart is amazing, Sensitivity, Beautiful Awkwardness, talent for sports and has almost a better maternal instinct than I.
Best Memory: Watching her softball games, I loved that. I filled with pride for her because she was so good. Her young love for everything that is GREASE, I think she was 5 when it started.

Nana- Mother Hen, Protector, Gracefully Opinionated, Should have been a Vanderbilt.
Best Memory: Their farm, I loved the farm when they were there in Somerville. On hot summer days she would let us strip down to just our undergarments (because there were no neighbors for miles) and she would spray the hose while we danced in it and caught lightning bugs.

Grandmother- Incredible work ethic, Most kind heart (Sophie has her heart), and the beautiful meekness I see in her eyes.
Best Memory: No one could make our morning oatmeal like her. Mom and Nana were met with many “that isn’t how grandmother makes it” comments. Letting us “bake” in the gazebo she would give us everything from flour to peanut butter and we would go out side and “bake” in the gazebo and no matter what it was she let us put it in her oven and she would actually cook our concoction. Which means a lot now, knowing how clean everything in her home is; there is NO telling what went in that oven.

Candace- Gorgeous, Kind, Wonderful mother, Strong, Vibrant and Energetic.
Best Memory: Thinking she was more beautiful than “Shania Twain” when I first met her and telling all my friends that.

Linda- No one is nicer than Aunt Linda, Bubbly and energetic, I would love to have her or Haley’s personality.
Best Memory: Shopping with her and my mom and all the kids,eating lunch in her big van. Taking naps in her big van, while THEY shopped. We used to BEG to go over to their house on Friday’s after we would go out to eat.

Sherry- Hid such a hidden talent for art for so long, A wonderful cook, Our families memory keeper so much would go forgotten without her.
Best Memory: I loved to go to her antique store I used to think she was sooo rich because I thought she actually owned ALL of the things in her store. She always kept a toy closet for us (which she still has for our children.) I still remember the sweet smell of those toys and her
house.

Haley- Personality, Selflessness, Loving, The most real person that I know and a beautiful mom.
Best Memory: Playing house at grandmothers and they made me be the baby (which I loved) and When she would clean out her closet and send me clothes, I LOVED when she sent stuff and I wouldn’t wash it before I wore it because I loved the way her house smelled and it still smells the same.

Kate- Strong will and preciousness all in the same instance. So pretty and has such an athletic ability.
Best Memory: Being the first to find out that Aunt Candace was pregnant with her and they let me tell my mom and dad.

Sarah Laine: Two words- Beautiful Spitfire!
Best Memory: The first Christmas with her was so exciting and new.

Kristin- Style, Wonderful Cook, Always has beautiful hair, Gives great gifts and I love her eye for décor.
Best Memory: First time I met her she came into the salon I was working when I was 16, salon euphoria and I remember thinking that girl is so beautiful (of course at the time I would have never told her that.) I didn’t know who she was but the second Michael introduced us years later I knew her right away.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweet post, I read a quote once that said "Words are the voice of the heart" what a beautiful heart you have Whitney!
Love You Mom

Unknown said...

I do the SAME thing with my toes!!! Especially when I am trying to relax, I totally forgot about mom doing it when we were kids. Thanks for the sweet words. Love, Annie